Railway services were first introduced at Port Glasgow in March 1841 when the Caledonian Railway Company's Glasgow, Paisley and Greenock railway, built at a total cost of £814,000 was opened to traffic. Many local business men had bought shares in the company including William Crawford Scarlow, Street Port glasgow Physician - 5 shares and Archibald Falconer, Jean Street Port Glasgow bought 50 shares in the Railway to a value of £1,250
Sadly the vigilance of the staff was not always enough as this newspaper report from 1889 shows.
Lamentable Accident at Railway Station
Shortly before ten O'clock this morning the Railway Station was the scene of a lamentable accident which befell Mrs Birkmyre wife of Henry Birkmyre of the Gourock Ropework company.
After the train has passed the unfortunate lady was immediately picked up and carried into one of the waiting rooms were Dr Crawford was in immediate attendance and on examination he found that her left leg and arm were broken in several places, the arm being badly mutilated.
Mrs Birkmyre was put into a first-class carriage, which was kindly given up for her use by a gentleman and was accompanied to the infirmary by her husband, a son and the two doctors and also Mr Lithgow, shipbuilder a son in law.
Port Glasgow Railway & Hood's Well
Ex-Bailie Shaw of the Star Hotel gives the following account of the accident.
Up until One O'clock the condition of Mrs Birkmyre remained the same. The professional services of Professor M'Loed of Glasgow have been obtained and everything that medical skill and care can devise are being used to alleviate the suffering of the unfortunate lady.
Mr James Hood was either a guard or inspector before becoming station master at Port Glasgow station. On his retirement money was collected with the intention of buying him a gift.
The well was once again uncovered in 2001 when work was being carried out on the retaining wall beneath Highholm Primary School which was in danger of collapse.
Unfortunately it was vandalized after being found and a part is now missing
The first station master was Mr Auld then there was Mr Symington and Mr Hood was the third to hold the post.
Photographed here Is Mr William Crawford who is the Chairman of the Port Glasgow Central West Community Council, and Mr Sid Singh who is employed by Mowlem the company who is currently undertaking the work to reinforce and repair the retaining wall.He is also responsible for finding the well.
The picture to the left shows the station in 1962. It was taken from a footbridge that run across the line at the west end of the station. (see first picture on page above) This foot bridge has since been removed. Also in this shot you can see the Star Hotel and the front of Hamiltons first church in Princes Street. Bouverie street is visible on the hill behind.
To the right is a photograph taken from as close to the same position as was possible in 1994
The photograph shows the changes to the platforms and also the line which by this time had been electrified. Some of the buildings in the back ground have also been removed.
Some pictures of the station taken in 2002 which was also the year that the station was treated to it's last modernisation.
These pictures show you what was visable of the well in 2005.Click to see a larger copy.
This page last modified on Wednesday, December 01, 2010
© Carol W 2000-2014 all rights reserved, all trademarks hereby acknowledged.