Many years ago Port Glasgow was well known for it's fruit and vegetables. This local industry seems to have started as far back as 1767 when the then proprietor of Newark Estate saw the possibilities of this idea. He was proven correct as it was to become a very profitable with the produce being consumed both locally and in Glasgow.
Port Glasgow Fruit
Magnum Bonum plums are mentioned as having been especially good
© Carol W 2000-2014 all rights reserved, all trademarks hereby acknowledged.
Some of the wells drew their water supply by pipes which led from a circular building that was behind the back entrance to the railway station.(pictured above) This building was for a long time the oldest building left standing in Port Glasgow and was referred to locally as the "Round House" it has since been removed after fire made it unsafe and new houses and roads are in it's place.
There had been epidemics, before as there was already in place a Cholera hospital but this outbreak caused a massive decrease in the population.
Filtration plants stood at Parkhill and the Water Augmentation scheme brought about the opening of the filter house at Dougliehill in September 1956 with further improvements and an extension to the filter house in May 1968 the water supply which at this time was around 1,709,000 gallons a day.
The main source of water by 1948 was the Auchendores reservoir a picturesque stretch of water near Kilmacolm with a storage capacity of 188,421,000 gallons. Beside it is Leperstone reservoir and at the western end of the town there were the Harelaw and Knocknairnshill reservoirs. .
Up until 1865 there was no proper water supply to the town. The house holders filled their stoups at wells which were to be found in several parts of the town.
In 1907 Mr Davie listed the wells around the town as he remembered them:
In those days there were no pipes laid into the houses. The supply was all from public wells and the only reservoir was that little round building on the side of the railways opposite Glenhuntly gate now nearly demolished.
During the summer months the supply of water was a great concern to the housewives, all the water they required for cooking and washing had to be carried in stoups or cans from the nearest well , but often the supply gave out and the wait was long and tedious. I have seen people waiting for more than an hour before their "tour" or turn came round. There were no laundries to which their washing could be sent, so they had just "tae thole".
This page last modified on Saturday, February 05, 2011