Also in the park stands a drinking fountain. This fountain was originally erected in 1928 at the top of Princes Street but later moved to it's current location .
Miss Inglis was a local woman who had been involved with the temprance movement as well as local groups and churches. The fountain was paid for by her family.
The harbor was taken over by the town council from the Harbor Trust in 1934. As work neared completion in 1935 it was decided that it should be used for recreation. Plans included flower beds, swings for the children and a band stand with the work being carried out by Baird Brothers. It opened to the public in 1937 which explains it's name.
Given the hilly nature of the town this area of land was regarded as as blessing given it's overall flatness
The bandstand entertainers in the summer included bands such as the Scottish Co-operative Wholesale Society, Parkhead Forge Silver Band and the Clydebank and Govan Burgh Bands who were booked to play.
The West Harbor began to silt up in the 1920's and could no longer be used to berth boats. A desion was made to reclaim the area and Mr H Lithgow gave a £3000 donation to the cost of the works which would take several years to complete.
The odly shaped building in the first picture was once the Harbor Masters Office it was demolished in 1962.
The steam hammer sits at the far side of Coronation park. It was made by Olen and Ross Engineers in Glasgow (1885) Thought to have been taken from the premises of one of the local firms at it's time of closure.
This page last modified on Thursday, April 14, 2011
© Carol W 2000-2014 all rights reserved, all trademarks hereby acknowledged.