What lies at the top of the Clune Brea now is only a small part of the Bogal Stane.
An account published in 1872 it was descrided as "a large quadrangular block of whim eight or nine feet high. The top of which could accommodate half a score of persons. The large block was famed for the Bogle,a sort of impish sprite that used to haunt it in days of yore"
Kilmacolm was for many years a "dry village" and people would come over the hill into Port Glasgow returning the way the came a short time later a little worse for wear.
"When the delinquent has climbed up the brae and got out of the site of the lights of the town just entering the wild and dreary moor the Bogle was frequently seen about this stone and sent the belated worthy onward at accelerated speed while he fancied he heard something following at his heels"
In a bid to rid the town of this superstition the minister of a local church had the stone blasted. He only succeeded in breaking it into some smaller pieces some of which were used locally to build dykes (walls) and fashion curling stones. At this time a local man wrote a poem which is said was written into the side of the stone.
Ye weary travellers passing by
I am the far famed Bogle Stane
The minister's actions were not well received and considered as an act of vandalism by many .On the ground coming into the possession of a new owner the parts of the stone were re-united.
Improvements to the road layout and the development of upper Port Glasgow In 1963 brought the stone to local attention once more .
The writing and the rumoured marks which appeared on the stone are no longer visible but part of the stone itself still stands at the top of the Brea and the view out across the river is similar to what it has always been
The house (shown above) was built by John Hamilton around 1846. Intended to be a hotel and hoping to cash in on trade coming from the newly established Glasgow and Southern Western railway. A station was never erected close by and the idea failed.
The bi-centenary booklet for Port Glasgow in 1975 opens with "Port Glasgow begins at Boglestone" The area still contains housing, local services and shops as well as the post office and a chemist and is busy most days. With a community centre, doctors and dentist as well as a clinic there is plenty of people and traffic. The completed Newark primary school and refurbished St Michael's included a small parking/drop off area being built beside the stone itself and you can still take refreshment only now it's in the form of the "Kafay" in Dubbs Road.
This page last modified on Saturday, February 05, 2011
© Carol W 2000-2014 all rights reserved, all trademarks hereby acknowledged.