Building "The Gold Star"

The picture shows a view between Chapelton St. and Houston Street, just West of The Glen.  
The ship in the background is in the Kingston Yard. She was called The Gold Star and at that time the largest vessel built in Scotland - for the Sam Yang Navigation Company of South Korea and launched on 16/12/1970

The picture shows a view between Chapelton St. and Houston Street. Just West of "The Glen". The
ship in the left background is in the Kingston Yard.
The building across the street housed Morrison's Pub, just to the right of the picture.
The large gable end showing, was a store for the Glen Mill which was right opposite "The Glen".
The Glen Mill drew some of the water they used for the Bleaching Dept.from the Glen Burn.

An educational film showing the various stages in the building of a giant tanker Job No. 1169 "Gold Star" at Lithgow's shipbuilding yard on the lower reaches of the river Clyde
The Scottish Screen Archive
The Clydebuilt database has another image and some more details on this ship

© Carol W 2000-2014 all rights reserved, all trademarks hereby acknowledged.
The photographs in this site have not to be shared or otherwise used without permission!
Please do not submitt them to any other site for display