A Few Photographs
Built in 1938 by Ferguson Brothers Ltd the Vehicular Ferryboat No:4
It was the first diesel-electric ferry on the river Clyde and worked out of Govan up until 1966.
The last four operative Clyde steamers lie at winter berths in Queen's Dock in 1967.
The emergency support vessel Iolair during trails on the river Clyde 1982.
The Clyde Shipping Company's tug Flying Buzzard leaving Ferguson Brothers yard in Port glasgow in 1912.
The liquid gas carrier Taraquair for the Anchor Line Company was constructed in two halfs.
The after section was built by Ailsa in Troon and launched in August 1981. The forward section was built by Fergusons and launched the same month. The two sections were positioned at the Inchgreen Drydock on 23/08/1981 and the link up was completed by September 15th and the main engine fitted.
In 1904 these were both new ships seen on the river Clyde.
A barque in the upper reaches of the Clyde with the Steel & Bennie tugs SS Thunder and PS Brigadier.
The Scindia Steam Navigation Company of bombay were old and valued customers of Lithgowws Ltd.
The rush is on to get home!
A launch from Hamilton's yard in Port Glasgow 1957.
The Lord Of The Isles built for Caladonian McBrayne 1989.
In September 1940 she went alongside the blazing cruiser HMS Sussex to assist in the firefighting at the Yorkhill Quay.The colour shot shows her last day of service on 22nd January 1966.
© Carol W 2000-2014 all rights reserved, all trademarks hereby acknowledged.