The brothers John and Charles Wood took over the running of their fathers business after his death in 1811. A contract had already been entered into with Henry Bell for the building of the little steam boat called the Comet.
Although John wood completed the ship but it was to bring him no financial gain as Bell failed to pay those involved, and was forced to use any money that he had made to repair the Comet after it was wrecked at Graignish Point in 1820.
Miss Elizabeth Kyall Douglas was to visit Port Glasgow with the happy news of her forthcoming marriage to John Wood she was coming to meet the people around him and her new family. She was to take unwell with "fever" and sadly died a short time later. John Wood requested that she be laid to rest in the graveyard beside his father where he worshiped so he could tend the grave which he did for the rest of his life having never married.
He also specialized in the building of river Steamers and built 33 of them between 1812-1847, he retained an interest in steam ships throughout his career.
John Wood Snr: was employed by Thomas McGill and learned his trade from him. In 1783 he opened his first yard in the town on the same site that the East Yard would later occupy.. Wood and McGill between them built 51 ships in 9 years between 1783-1792.
Charles Wood started shipbuilding in Qubec before returning to to the Clyde and opening a yard in Dumbarton.
John Wood died on 22nd December 1860 at the age of 72. On the day of his funeral the coffin was carried by some of his carpenters. They were dressed in a costume similar to that which John Wood supplied for them to wear to church on Sundays - blue cloth suits with brass buttons and cloth caps and on this occasion they wore white kid gloves.
This page last modified on Friday, April 02, 2010
John Wood Street Port Glasgow
© Carol W 2000-2014 all rights reserved, all trademarks hereby acknowledged.