He was a justice of the peace for Port glasgow. He died at the age of 68 years on 7th December 1926.
In 1917 , William Campbell Ltd , coal and coke merchant and shipping agent in Port Glasgow, was incorporated as a limited liability company to acquire the business and assets of William Campbell. William Campbell was appointed chairman and managing director of the firm, with his son, Hugh Campbell, as a director and Robert Fyfe as secretary. The company continued to trade but was wound-up in 1947 . In the same year, a new company, William Campbell (Port Glasgow) Ltd, was incorporated as a coal merchants in Port Glasgow, purchasing wagons and other assets from the
He joined the volunteers and Territorial Forces and rose to the rank of colonel and was made commanding Officer of the Clyde Royal Garrison Artillery.
Colonel William Campbell
William Campbell was born in Port Glasgow ,son of Agnes and Hugh Campbell who was a master joiner. For most of his early life he lived in Newark Place and was one of three children.
By the age of just 22 on the 1881 census he was noted as a Coalmaster. By 1891 he was married and living with his wife Agnes in William Street Port Glasgow his occupation was listed as Coal Merchant.
Buisness must have been good for just ten years later he was living in Rosslyn in the Alderwood area of the town and employing one domestic servant.
This page last modified on Friday, February 04, 2011
© Carol W 2000-2014 all rights reserved, all trademarks hereby acknowledged.
former William Campbell Ltd. At some point prior to 1966 , the company became a subsidiary of Ross & Marshall Ltd , shipowners, Greenock, Inverclyde, who themselves were a subsidiary of the Clyde Shipping Co Ltd , shipowners, Glasgow, Scotland. In 1975 , the company became a wholly owned subsidiary of Glenlight Shipping Ltd , ship managers, Glasgow, who were also a subsidiary of the Clyde Shipping Co Ltd. In 1990 , William Campbell (Port Glasgow) Ltd was dissolved.